If you’re exploring Corrections as your first career, you’ll soon discover that it is a broad field with many options and opportunities suited for people with a variety of interests, educational levels, and future aspirations. People who pursue Corrections jobs are driven by a desire to protect their communities and help individuals implement positive life changes.
To determine whether Corrections may be a viable career path for you, first evaluate your skills, interests, dreams, and ideas for future employment. Below is a list of questions to help you get started.
- Do you enjoy working with people?
- Do you see yourself working in the more structured environment of a jail, prison or detention center setting? Or is your preference to work in the community?
- Do you want to experience first-hand the difference your work can make in people’s lives and in improving the safety of your community?
- Do you enjoy working collaboratively with others?
- Do you want to have a positive impact on the lives of others?
- Do you enjoy a fast-paced, highly dynamic workplace?
- Do you want a stable career with good wages and benefits?
- Do you desire opportunities for personal and professional growth through training, professional development, a variety of career options, and opportunities for advancement?
Based on your answers, now consider the types of Corrections jobs that might interest you.
- If you want to work in an institutional setting (like a jail or prison) positions such as, but not limited to, a corrections officer, deputy sheriff, teacher, nurse, pharmacist, social worker, or counselor may interest you
- If you would prefer to work in a community setting a pre-sentence investigator, case manager, a probation officer, a parole officer, trainer, social worker, counselor, or victim advocate may be a more desirable career path.
Be sure to explore the main disciplines or learn about various types of positions in the field of Corrections. We think you’ll find a variety of roles and diverse work environments from which to choose.